Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Home Stretch

This Blog seems to be turning into a runner's Blog, but that's what I've been doing a lot of lately, running.  The home stretch is defined as the portion of a racetrack from the final turn to the finish line, it's where the runner has the end in sight.  I have the finish line in view in a few areas of my life right now.  Last year, at this time, I was about to turn 50 and was 50 pounds over weight and dealing with the possibility of starting blood-pressure medicine, today my BP is around 122/71 and I'm 7 pounds from my goal.  Last year at this time I couldn't run a whole one mile, yesterday I ran 11, next week I plan to run 12 and, if all works well, I want to run 13.1 miles on my morning of my birthday.  That's the distance of a Half Marathon.  Some of my kids and I have ran in five races since March and are planning on a race each month through out the year.  Yes, if I can find some Winter ones I plan on running.  It is a good feeling to have the finish line in sight.


Yet with a any race, once you cross that line you don't hang up the shoes and stop running.  You look for the next track, the next race, the next challenge.  When the Apostle Paul said "I have finished my course" he wasn't anticipating retirement from the ministry but the sword of the executioner, because only physical death should stop the child of God from serving his Lord.  Find a race, train and complete it.  Set another goal, another challenge, work towards a good finish, collect the tee-shirt and move on to the next. We are always rounding another turn on to the Home Stretch.


Chuck (197)

No comments:

Post a Comment