Monday, January 31, 2011

Durian

I had never heard of a Durian Fruit before last Sunday, not until a Korean Grandmother ( 할머니 / Ha-mo-ni) told a story during lunch.  By the way, many Koreans refer to older Korean women as Grandmother.  She said that a Chinese friend of hers had seen one of these large, prickly fruits in the market and decided to buy one and take it home to cook it.  She started to laugh as she was telling the story, because her friend didn't know that the Durian fruit stinks when you cut into it, but is delicious to eat.  I would have never known that either, but I don't think that I would ever just cut into one to find out.  I was just reading that Durian (AKA - The king of Fruit) has be banned from public places such as malls, subways and motels, in several Asian countries.  Sounds even to nasty for my taste.

There is such a great variety of food at the Korean market (the H-Mart in Cherry Hill, NJ) and produce that I have never seen before.  I'm sure that they wouldn't carry a fruit like the Durian unless there was someone out there who would buy them and eat them.  Most of us are familiar with only a small variety of fruits & veggies, and are often only comfortable purchasing and preparing what we knew, and so we miss out on so much.  We do the same thing in the Work of the Ministry, we only participate in things we are familiar and comfortable with, and so we often pass by many opportunities because we're not sure about the taste. There are times when we just have to take a bite.



Chuck

3 comments:

  1. Good point. I saw that fruit on a Foxnews special down in Chile. Have you tried it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Food for thought" - I Get it!

    Bro. Don, No, I have not tried that one. If I do, and I might, it will be in the spring or summer when I can cut it open outside, far away for shopping malls, subways or motels.

    ReplyDelete