Saturday, November 20, 2010

Caved

I did.  I caved in,  I backed down.  I "changed my heart" (That's what GB#1 said) and so we are dog owners once again.  Just about 3 years ago our previous pooch, Caleb, was put to sleep, euphemistically speaking.  At age 16, and with several medical struggles, it seemed like the most humane thing to do.  Since then we have been "Pet-Free".  Now please note that the Lizard, Sunny, did not count in the "Pet-Free" equation.  Lizards are non-pets.  They don't do anything.  You don't "pet" them, walk them or wrestle on the living room floor with them.  They sit there and soak up the heat from a lamp and the only time they move is when there is food introduced into their environment.  (OK, yes, I know that that describes some people you may be acquainted with)  Watching Sunny eat crickets did provide a great deal of entertainment for the grand kids but you all remember that we buried the lizard a few months ago.  So we have been pet-free and lethargic-lizard-free for a little while now. 


My dear wife has been very patiently pushing me in the doggy direction for several months now.  I've had some good excuses about freedom to travel and no clean-up, which always seemed to be my job no mater who's animal it was.  She would send me e-mails, text messages and IM's with links to on-line doggy, "Re-Homing" opportunities.  Two weeks ago she even convinced me to stop at the pound and checkout  a terrier, which I did, but he already had 3 applications for adoption.  Oh Well!  But my DW did not allow that to discourage her from her heart's desire.  Next stop, Craigslist.com and voilà, a dog has appeared.  We are now the proud owners of a 5 year old Rat Terrier named Luigi, re-named Coach, and here I am, walking the dog with a plastic bag in one hand.
 
“And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.” (Luke 11:9-10)  

It would serve us all well to be as persistent with our Lord in the things which we desire from Him.  He reminds us that "Ye have not because ye ask not ...".

Chuck & Coach

2 comments:

  1. Haven't we all "caved in" on this front at least once??

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A line of symmetry divides a figure into two mirror-image halves." That's the first thing I thought..........looks like your new doggie is perfect on both sides........left and right at least. We'll see about top and bottom! Glad you got a pooch. A heartbeat at your feet.

    ReplyDelete