Thursday, November 18, 2010

Smoke Out

Today, November 18th, is the American Cancer Society's 35th annual "Great American Smokeout".  This used to be a big event for me.  By the time I got out of high school I was smoking a pack a day and 2 packs a day by the time I was 20.  Being a draftsman meant I sat at a drafting table all day with a coffee cup and an ashtray as standard equipment.  I remember one year the "Smokeout" was the same day as our bowling league.  I was doing great all day, but when we bowled past midnight, I caught up every smoke I missed throughout the day.  I always said, "I can quit anytime!" but I never did.

After I was saved many things changed immediately, but the smoking was one of my holdouts.  All the "bad for your heath" warnings never worked.  All the "smells like an ashtray" insults never worked.  Then something finally got my attention, serving God.  The more I was involved in the ministry the more I wanted to be.  The desire to tell others about Christ was growing stronger and stronger but I was kept silent because of the smoke.  I knew that I couldn't be a good witness with clouds of smoke around my head.  One day as I was sitting at my drafting table, I took the pack out of my shirt pocket, wadded it up and through it in the garbage can.  That was it!  Wanting to serve God is a great motivator.

Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment