Monday, December 27, 2010

Do the Math

Let's talk about some numbers.  33 by 330 is the size of my lot here in our little, semi-rural borough.  Because our pre-Victorian (1817) home practically sits on the front street, we've got a bunch of real estate behind us.  125 feet is the length of my sidewalk.  I know because I laid & leveled every single block in it.  Subtracting 50+ feet for the house and the 5 feet of frontage and I end up Shoveling about 150 feet of driveway every time it snows!  No, I don't own a snowblower.  I had kid labor when the boys lived at home, and since they moved I am too cheap to part with the cash when sweat is free.


What I've been doing the last few snowstorms is to park my car at the entrance of driveway so after it snows I can clear a single path to it (250 ft.).  That leaves only about 10 feet of shoveling to get my car out, which of course is the basic goal.  I can deal with the rest of the driveway later.  Oh, I learned that after only 13 winters and I was having to shovel myself.  Identifying the goal then working smarter not just harder gets the job done, and saves a lot of time & energy in the process.

Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment