Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Prophet's Chamber

That's what they call it, "Prophet's Chamber", and that's where I'm staying this week while I'm teaching.  It's comfortable and I have no complaints, I just have always felt uneasy about the term "Prophet's Chamber".  The scripture that the term is based on is found in 2 Kings 4, where the Shunammite woman suggests to her husband to make a "chamber" for the prophet Elisha.  May I make a few observations?  First - Wives are more observant to the needs of others and often come up with good ideas.  Second - Husbands are left to follow through on these suggestions and it often means a lot of work.  Third - If a couple can work through this situation (One making observations & suggestions and the other needing to make it happen) then they can be a great blessing to others.

I'm not a prophet, nor the son of a prophet, although I do work for a Not-for-Profit organization.  I also don't like the idea of sleeping in a "Chamber".  There has to be a better term!  But in reference to the "Chamber" that Mr. & Mrs. Shunammite furnished, they knew exactly what every preacher needed: a bed, a table, a stool and a candlestick.  And of course when ever the prophet stopped in, they fed him.  A place to sleep, an place to eat and a place to study; these are the basic necessities of "the Prophet" and these same things are greatly appreciated by this preacher.  Thank you

Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment