Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Democracy


What a Town!  That's what I have to say about the monthly Pemberton Borough City Counsel Meeting that I attended last night.  The first 45 minutes were all protocol & procedure.  Reports and resolutions were read and votes were taken.  Then the "Public Portion" began.  I was in attendance last night because of a "Violation" that I had received concerning my grass.  That small strip, in front of my house, between the sidewalk and the curb, was deemed to have not been cut in a "Stately" manner.  You may remember that from a previous post, so I wanted to express my thoughts about this matter.  WOW ...  the place was packed.  The last meeting that I attended (at least 10 years ago) may have had 2 or 3 in the audience, last night there must have been 30+.  Everyone had some complaints and most of it was not about Stately Lawns.  Easements, a diminishing Police department, affordable housing,  deteriorating buildings, the list goes on and on ... taxes, utility costs, light-bulbs (yes that's right), noise ordnances, unresolved annual budget, ... I could continue .  Oh, and I can't forget the dear old lady from Elizabeth St., who attends EVERY meeting & and has a laundry list, she made sure the counsel knew that the flagpoles on the lamp posts "Look Like STICKS!  Shouldn't there be something on the end of them?" After an hour and 15 minutes of the "Public" expressing their feelings, we adjourned. 

I must admit that what I spoke about last night was dim in comparison to many of the issues being dealt with throughout my community.  Many of these concerns I would have never known about except that I showed up.  Being  engaged in the process is essential to understanding what is wrong, whether with a town or with a person.  Being there when people pour out their heart helps to build a bridge of commonness and concern that you don't get from reading the paper the next week. 

If you show up, sit down and listen you may discover that there are a lot of people out there with needs, and that your problems aren't as big as you thought.


Chuck (199)

No comments:

Post a Comment