Friday, June 3, 2011

Friday Favorites:

One of my favorite sayings, and often refereed to as my life's motto, is "Any Excuse to Eat Cake".  I used that expression again last night at the end of our Church services.  We recognized my son Buz's graduation and we helped him celebrate by eating some cake.  Cake is a celebratory food.  Cake and Birthdays. Cake and Anniversaries.  Cake and Bar Mitzvahs.  And what would a wedding reception be without the groom having a nostril full of pound cake and icing?  When a cake is present there must be something to celebrate close by.

I know that God served cake to the prophet Elijah and he was able to travel for 40 days and nights without another meal.  I have read of David giving fig cakes and grapes to a Egyptian servant to revive his spirit, and that the children of Israel baked lots of unleavened cakes over the years.  It's wonderful to have your cake and to eat it too!

Life is filled with things to get excited about and celebrate, and even if I'm trying to lose a few pounds a piece of cake every now and then doesn't hurt.  I'll be performing a wedding tomorrow ... think there'll be cake?

 Chuck (199 BC - 'Before Cake')

No comments:

Post a Comment