Thursday, March 10, 2011

Grandparents

Today was "Grandparent's Day" at the Heritage Christian Academy and since we have two grandchildren enrolled it was only natural that we would attend such an event.  My basic observation was that my dear wife and I were the youngest grandparents in attendance.  Now certainly there may be younger grandparents with grandchildren involved in the school but it was obvious they were not in attendance today.  I must describe to you the reasoning behind being the grandparents of six children and still, as I see it, being so young.

When Joyce and I were married we had several discussions about kids.  Our general consensus was to have as many as we could as soon as we could and that's exactly what we did.  The original number was 12 but once number four came along we basically agreed that our quiver was full. And seeing that we were married so young (19 & 18), having four children by the time we were in our late 20s made us prime candidates to be very young grandparents. I can't say that I would recommend this same situation to everyone but it certainly has worked for us.  I'm 50 and still quite young enough to enjoy playing with the grandbabies with the potential of the even more active enjoyment for years to come.

Yet the age or agility of a grandparent is not necessarily the greatest attribute. Godly grand-parenting requires a greater measure of spirituality than of spunk. The influence of the godly grandfather is not dependent upon age, nor upon the ability to keep up with them, but requires sensitivity to the spiritual needs in that child's life. So whether it be from a wheelchair or walking, grandparents can have a great influence upon a child. I thank the Lord that he has given my dear wife and I the opportunity to be engaged in our children's and our grand-children's lives regularly. And seeing that we are still so young this gives us even more responsibility to live a godly example before them and guide them to the Savior.


Chuck (aka: Pop Pop)

No comments:

Post a Comment