Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Final Lap

I have to tell some 5K race stories while they are still fresh in my mind!

Story One: We are all standing around before the race and my DIL Deanna leans over to me and says, "You see number 'so & so'? Watch out for him".  So we spent a little while checking out all the 50+, 'Old Guys' to figure out which ones I thought I could beat.

Story Two: Around the one mile mark a baby stroller blew past me.  Yes a mom was pushing it.  That was a bit humorous but also somewhat humiliating to know I was going to be whooped by an infant.  I did waive to the baby as he went by.

Story Three: The overall winner of the race was obviously a 'professional' runner.  He finished in under 18 minutes and at least a full minute ahead of the next runner (a 50+, 'Old Guy").  Now that was all well and good, BUT .... He decided for some odd reason to run the race a second time! So while I am passing the 2 mile mark on the home stretch he is on his way down the course again. I believe he lapped some of the final runners and "finished" again before they finished once.

Okay!  I don't know the guy, I don't want to judge his motives, but from where I was sitting, that is almost insulting.  All of us are blessed with some type of skill, ability and / or talent, amen to that.  I think that they are best used when they encourage others.  If I try to lap you with my perfect family, or sprint past you with my wealth and material good, it serves no benefit to anyone.  If the Lord has blessed you in the race, it would be wonderful to see you either running beside me or standing around the last turn cheering me on.  Thats what winners do.


Chuck

1 comment: