Thursday, September 16, 2010

My 1st Marathon

That's right, you heard it here first.  I have completed my first marathon, and it only took 27 days.  I started running, again, back on August 20th (.87 miles) and as of yesterday's 3.03 mile run I have racked up a total of 28.81 miles.  Since a marathon is 26.2 miles, I just figured that I have run my first marathon.



The name Marathon comes from an event that occurred at the conclusion of the battle of Marathon (490 BC). Pheidippides, a Greek messenger, was dispatched from the battle field to return to Athens with the message of victory over the Persians. Legend states that he ran, non stop, the entire distance (approx. 26 miles) and then uttered the phrase "Νενικήκαμεν", "We have won", before collapsing and dying.  Great Finish!

As compared to Pheidippides, I have had a walk in the park, but I am still moving forward, because my race is not over yet. Many accomplishments certainly are of epic proportion and generate headlines and legends, but most are completed just one mile at a time through faithfulness, endurance, persistence & long-suffering. 

So let's keep running the race that is set before us.


Chuck (219)

No comments:

Post a Comment