Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Save the Squirrels

I can't believe I did it, but I did.

I was walking out the door early this morning when a saw a feral cat bolting across the back yard.  It was like one of those slow motion, nature shows of predator and prey locked in mortal combat.  The prey was one of those apple-stealing squirrels!  When the screaming stopped (not mine!) the victor stood with the gray trophy clinched in its jaws, still alive, still struggling for freedom.  Here is my dilemma; I dislike feral cats (domestic cats are tolerable) more then my disdain for apple-pilfering squirrels.

I picked up one of my grand kid's toy trucks and hurled it across the yard.  Although not a direct hit, it was sufficient to cause the dislodging of the squirrel and the departure of the cat.  It took just a moment, but the former meal made a straight shot for the nearest tree and quickly retreated to the high branches. 

You see my flesh thought, "Great! More apples on the tree next year. A Pie in the oven!".  But my conscience said "No, you can't let that lousy cat turn your backyard into a fast food restaurant!"  What if that feline spread squirrel guts all the yard?  Picture a grand-baby bringing you half of a large intestine and asking "What's this Pop Pop?"  "Oh that a semi-colon." 

Well, there are times when quick decision must be made, and those decision can not be based solely on the revenge or person desire.  Think of the consequences of your decisions in reference to how they will effect others.

Chuck

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for Pop Pop! I bet that squirrel was so grateful, he's gonna tell all of his friends to leave your apple tree alone.

    I saw that same yucky cat yesterday morning when I came over. He was checking out your fish. Since your aim is so good, throw something larger at it next time. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to plan a cat hunting expedition. Or as Winny the Pooh would say ... "ExPotition". I think there is a market for those furry, felon felines. Cashew Kitty served with Baked Apples!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! I'd rather have squirrels around than those nasty cats, too.

    ReplyDelete