Thursday, September 23, 2010

the New Normal

My bank branch is closing this week.  No big deal in the big scheme of things, but I'm going to miss it.  It changed names a few years back, one of those corporate buy-ups.  Going from FMS to just a big, blue "B" still left it in the same location (1/4 mile from the house) with all the same folks and all the same services.  I take great comfort when things are left alone and remain unchanged.  I know that you do too. 

So now everything I need to do at the bank will entail a longer drive and I will need to get to know a whole new group of tellers & customer service reps.  I'm sure, over the next few weeks,  I will be asked to show my ID until everybody gets to know everybody. And I suppose that after a few months I will be settled into a new normal, again.

Every time life gets shaken up, and our normal is intruded upon, we immediately think that what is coming next could never be as good as what we just had.  This attitudes often brings despair during trials, stubbornness in the midst of needed change and anger directed towards all those who are a part of the shift.  But with the exception of the Lord, everything changes and a new normal always emerges from the dust.  Sometimes a little less convenient for you, yet sometimes far better then what we ever expected.  But no matter the outcome it will eventually become your New Normal.

Chuck (219)

No comments:

Post a Comment