Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cricket Alarm

I mentioned a few posts back that I wake up in the morning with a Cricket Alarm.  This is a relatively new situation for me. 

The photo to the left is the style of GE clock radio that I have been using all of my adult life.  I have worn out at least two of them and always buy the same model each time.  I know how it works & can set the alarm in the dark if I need to.  The ALARM sound - "BEEP-BEEP-BEEP ..." is what I am very used to and for over thirty years it has awakened me for work, school & church.  All was well until the iPhone arrived at 52 (that's what we call our home, "52").

Now that I have taken a bite from the Apple, and having all this cool technology at my fingertips, it was certainly time to try a new wake-up method and sound.  After scrolling through the options I was intrigued by the "Crickets" sound.  I must admit, the first attempt was on a day that I didn't have anything crucial to do in the morning, so just in case I didn't respond to this New Noise, I would just sleep-in till my internal clock woke me up.

To my surprise Crickets worked just fine.  After 30+ years of hearing the same sound, every morning, I have discovered that I can be motivated to get out of bed with a simple chirping noise.  So what gets you moving in the morning?  Not the sound, but the motivation.  "Time to make the Donuts!" as the old commercial used to say.  There is a reason that you get moving each day and it seems that the clearer the motivation, the less noise we actually need to get us, and keep us, going.

Chuck 

1 comment:

  1. I have just now started trusting my phone alarm to wake me up at six every morning. I also just figured out how to set the phone alarm. Funny how both things happened at once!!

    ReplyDelete