Saturday, August 7, 2010

Good Bye Old Friend

There comes a time when you must move on.  I tend to hang on as long as possible, almost in denial, always hoping, under the delusion that it's going to be OK.


A few days ago I setup a full pot of Half-Caf in my favor "Gevalia 12-cup coffeemaker w/ stainless steal scoop" and hit the button.  Returning a few minutes later I find NOTHING.  I switch it off & on and NOTHING.  Finally I unplug it and try again.  It Worked!  Alright, you have lived to see another day.

Day two... The auto-timer is set, I get up at 0-dark-thirty and the machine only brewed 2 cups out of a possible 12.  Not even a good average in baseball, unless you are a star pitcher with a low ERA.  But at that time of the morning I'm more concerned with my coffee pitcher then the Phillies.

So, Day three ... (see how delusional I am?)  It is Saturday, I sleep in till 7 and I go down stairs and set-up that piece of junk for one last time.  Always giving the benefit of the doubt, always hoping for the best, always thinking that it has gotten over it's issues.  But ... it's batting average did not improve!  Low ERA or not, it went to the curb, and a relief pitcher  was called in from the bullpen. 

Can you draw some Life Application from this catastrophe?  I know that I'm overwhelmed by introspection, wondering if I treat people better than coffee pots.

Chuck

3 comments:

  1. The clock still works... Set it up on a nightstand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a sad day when the coffeemaker finally bites the dust. At least it had a good run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that was our third Gevalia coffeemaker that we have used. We still own #1, but it is in the kitchen at church. Not sure of #2, I think we wore it out years ago. I suppose I could use #3 as a desk clock & fish bowl. I have always wanted to raise sea-monkeys.

    ReplyDelete