Friday, August 6, 2010

Gift Cards

I enjoy receiving gift cards for what ever occasion.  The cash value is not as important as the excuse to go to a restaurant, or stop at Wawa (Like a need an excuse) or shop on-line.  My birthday proved no exception to the Gift Card giving.  Thanks you, everyone!

I received two Book Store cards, one for Borders and the other, Barns & Nobles.  There is a book that I have been wanting to read for a while now, "Son of Hamas", that I thought I would purchase as an e-book from B&N.

Using my iPhone, I go to their site, set-up an account, find the e-book, read about & download their iPhone application and then try to make my purchase.  But No!  I must use a real computer to register the gift card.  So a few days later, on my laptop, I get to my newly established B&N account and discover that there is no place to register my Gift Card, but that I simply type in the card # when I'm checking out.  OK, I suppose I can still buy my e-book, on my laptop, but I am really trying to use my iPhone (including the B&N application) for things that will be mobile.

Why would any business add a layer of difficulty to someone who wants to purchase something from them?  I know it's not my money, but I am a new customer (my last online book purchase was on Amazon) and if they provide a hassle free and rewarding experience, I will likely be a return customer.  No wonder they may be going out of business.

So here's my point, the lesson to be learned ... Many first time contacts to the Church that I pastor may be having similar experiences.  Whether they are stopping by On-Line, or coming to the Church on a Sunday, it is vitally important that we provide a hassle free and rewarding experience.  I want them to come back, to be pleased enough with their experience that they would be willing to return for more of what we offer.

I may get perturbed about my B&N online experience, but had better pay closer attention to the experiences of those who visit NTBC.  The Gift that they may walking away from is "The Gift of God ... eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord".

Chuck
 
P.S. - B&N responded to my e-mail, and modified their website to "Manage Gift Cards for eBooks".  I followed their instructions and have already purchased the book I wanted.  A very rewarding experience.  B&N, I'll be back to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment