Thursday, October 28, 2010

"D" is for Deficient

There was a message on the home answering machine last night from the doctor's office.  "Please call Columbus Family Physicians ...", the message gave no details and only created suspicion that something was amiss.  Did they finally discover it was apple juice that I left in a cup for them to test?  Only kidding, but it had to be something related to the blood test from my annual physical.  I called this morning and got the Bad News ... I am Vitamin-D deficient. Oh-No!  Here comes the dreaded daily medications that I have been working to avoid.  They want me to take 3 months of a prescription strength vitamin followed by a daily supplement. So much for that one.

Being very curios of what brings about such deficiencies I turned to the World-Wide-Web and discovered the following causes:

1. Lack of meats and oily fishes. - That certainly is not the problem, I'm a meat & fish eater.

2. Lack of exposure to sunlight. - Again, nope.  I'm outside as much as possible.  This summer we took the GB's to the shore a bunch.

3. Being dark complected - Although I do try to maintain a decent farmer's-tan; I am not Tall, Dark & Handsome.  (One out of three ain't bad.)

4. The kidneys not absorbing sufficient quantities of the vitamin due to .... AGING.  What!?  That's just what I needed to hear.  Another fun effect of aging.  Hey, 50 is not OLD, remember! 

So this is what I'm planning on doing.  I'm going to eat oily fish, and lots of them.  Number one on my list: Sardines!  I love'em.  You hear that my dear wife, I need to eat sardines and I'll even get a doctor's note to prove it.  Do you hear that mom (who made me eat them outside when I was a kid).  They are a medical necessity seeings that I have a deficiency.  This is going to be fun.  Weekly "Dead-Fish" parties (topic for future blog). 

Obviously when weakness of the flesh is discovered there are certainly benefits to be had.  We are reminded that "when I am weak, then I am strong".  For God strength is always made perfect in our weakness.  Certainly the news could have been worse, but no matter what the New is, God is still all sufficient.


Chuck

2 comments:

  1. You need to eat more anchovy pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or .. Greek Salad! I always get the hairy fish when I order a Greek salad.

    ReplyDelete