Saturday, October 16, 2010

"I'm a Lost Toy!"

I have been lending some assistance to my son Eric at his new house.  Lots of ripping & tearing going on, which is my favorite part of any construction project.  R & T doesn't take too many skills which is right up my alley.  Today, while tearing out some old heat registers, I found a few game pieces from some old toys.  The little dog is obviously from Monopoly, and I think the cardboard circles are likely from an old version of Battling Tops.

I noticed the same phenomenon when ripping & tearing at 52.  We found several lost toys in walls, in ductwork and in ceilings under the 2nd floor bedrooms.  Obviously we've all lost some toys over the years.  Some go unnoticed and others bring the fun to a screeching halt.  Everyone knows that you can't play cards without the 3 of Diamonds.  But we always moved on, likely never really looking for the missing game pieces, justing finding something else to entertain us.  Game pieces, like Guinea Pigs, are disposable (subject of a future blog). They can sit for 30 years in a wall (not guinea pigs) and when found are interesting but not important.  Their significance expired long ago.  So why do we fill so much of our time, even as adults, with so many toys? 

Now if I can only discover where all the missing socks are hiding.


Chuck

1 comment:

  1. You'd be a rich man if you could help mankind find missing socks.
    When we redid the kitchen, we left a note under the sink cabinets. And a tract.
    ....and save that little dog, I think ours is missing.

    ReplyDelete