Saturday, October 23, 2010

"My Enemy"

There is an old Arabian Proverb that says "The enemy of my enemy is my friend".  This adage applies to world politics as well as baseball, which of coarse we all know is more important and less complicated than world politics.  I have never, let me repeat, never cared about the American League nor any of it's teams.  I have often said, when asked about particular American League teams, "Oh, they play baseball?"  Growing up just south of Philly, and spending many wonderful evenings at Vet stadium, has ingrained a National League view of baseball in my psyche.  At least we can trust our pitchers to swing a bat without hurting themselves! (Anyone who needs any explanation of the last comment can read about the Designated Hitter rule at Wiki.)

Back to the "Enemy" part of this post; I do NOT like the Yankees, I never have and truly believe that I never will.  There is no one, specific reason for my vocal disdain for this American League team.  It could be their Way-Over-The-Top salary package, "Best Team That Money Can Buy", Grab-Up Every Good Player, mentality.  Or it could simply be that they already have more Pennants (40) & World Series Championships (27) then any other team in baseball.  They really need to lose!

So last night I'm watching an American League game, which is a rarity, and rooting for a team that I know very little about.  The only fact about the Texas Rangers that I even cared about was that they were putting a Whoopin' on those Yankees.  Since the Rangers have successfully knocked the Yankees out of the playoffs, the Rangers have now become my favorite American League team.  Which is not a problem ... until the Phillies win the NLCS. I wont say "If", but when the Phillies & Rangers take to the diamond on Wednesday, October 27th, there will be no doubt about where my loyalties rest.  The enemy of my enemy will be my enemy when they stand against my friend.  Something that we all need to remember in viewing world politics and our faith.


Chuck

1 comment: