Monday, October 4, 2010

Name Sake

I was running the other day on the local "Rails to Trails" path near the old Pemberton train station.  My plans were to run in about a mile then take the southern spur down towards the Grist Mill Dam and head back through the neighborhood and rack up about 3 miles.  I must have been "In the Zone" because a missed the turn and discovered the error by smell and not by sight.  You see the trail ends in the little town of Birmingham, NJ right next to the wastewater treatment plant.  That's a nose full when you're running!

While making the turn at the end of the trail I noticed the this sewage facility was dedicated to some guy named Doyle or something like that. I don't know about you, but it almost seems like an insult to have a sewer plant named after you, doesn't it?  I'm sure someone thought it was kind gesture for some type of public service or heroic act or self-sacrificial contribution.  But, come on, a sewage plant!

I'm not looking for a bronze plague, but I do want to be remembered when I'm gone.  I want to leave behind some sweet memories, the fragrance of eternal reward. How about you?  So consider what you want associated with your name in the future and then work toward that end so that your name wont be the answer to the question, "What is that smell?".


Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment