Friday, October 8, 2010

Friday Favorites:

Favorite Books seem to have been my bent for several Friday Favorites, so here's yet another one.  This is my favorite Biography.  


I have read many biographies and auto-biographies but the life story of Edward McKendree Bounds (August 15, 1835(1835-08-15) – August 24, 1913) challenged me more than any other.  I first became aware of Bounds when I came across one of his books about prayer.  He has several and they are often grouped together and sold in one volume.  They are also easily available to read on-line on several websites.  One day I was going through some books that had been donated to the church and noticed his biography in the box, so I set out that afternoon to start reading it.  What a story!  This is a must read!  Civil War Battles; a front-line, Confederate Chaplain; Union prison-of-war camps; war-time revival meetings & countless souls won to Christ.  Through it all, Bounds demonstrated a deep sense of dependence upon God through unwaivering, effectual prayer.

There are few books that I have read that caused so much conviction in my life and provoked me to a deeper relationship with my Lord.  I have never read a biography before that has touched me so much.  E.M. Bounds "being dead yet speaketh" through his books and through his life-story still today.

 Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment