Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Go Phillies

It's that time of year again.  Time for some post-season baseball, and the Phillies have their tickets to attend the fall classic.  I can't wait till tomorrow's game of the division playoff with the Red's.  I wonder if Scott Rolen will get a few boos when he steps on the field at Citizen Bank Park?

Larry Bowa was a shortstop when I was young.  Pete Rose actually played 1st base for a few years on the Phillies and was a part of the World Championship, 1980 season.  I've been a Phillies fan forever.  My grand-mom was a Phillies Fan, my great-aunt Mill was a Phillies Fan and my Mom is a Phillies Fan.  We still call each other after spectacular home runs or following nail-biter, ninth inning wins.

This season was tremendous.  A far cry better then any previous season when they battled for a wild-card slot down to the last few games.  This year they had their division nailed down with nearly a week to spare.  That's the bitter-sweet part.  With their entrance into the playoffs secure, I didn't view that final series against the Braves with as much enthusiasm as I would of in previous seasons.  Fighting for the prize till the very last game is exciting but coasting in to the finish line is not.  Such is the Christian Race that we run.  Although my salvation is secure, the enemy and I are still locked in a battle where he is attempting to rob me of any reward going into the post-season.  This is a fight to the last game for souls of men.  Our security in Christ should never be an excuse to lack enthusiasm for the final series.  The Coach demands that we play hard till the last out.

Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment